Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Everything That Rises Must Converge


I had a nightmare last night.  In my dream, I was kidnapped, blindfolded, and tied down (ooh, kinky).  The kidnapper took the blindfold off, and I found myself face to face with a person in a terrible clown mask holding a pitchfork, in some boiler room, I think.  I started to see if I could talk my way out of it.

"What do you what from me?  Why did you kidnap me?"
"I wanted to talk, and thought this would be the best way to get you to listen."
"OK calm down, ahh, wh.. what do you have to tell me?"
"I want to talk to you about your blog."
"Oh man, I knew this was going to happen!  Look, I'm sorry about the last entry.  I agree, its not my best work.  I tried changing it, but still, I didn't feel good about it.  What was I supposed to do?  I haven't been in that position before; everything else was pure gold.  I just kinda froze after writing that turd.  I mean, I don't disagree with my position, I'm just better than that.  I'M TELLING YOU, I'M ABOVE IT.  OH PLEASE GIVE ME ONE MORE CHANCE AND I'LL..."
"SHUT UP!!!"
"ok"
.........
"Your blog is good, but you need to focus.  Get back to your theme."
"What theme?"
"I'm getting really tired..."
"AHHH MY ASS!!!"
"I'm not touching your ass!"
"oh i guess it was my imagination"
"You were writing this all for a reason, and I think its time you did some soul searching if these shenanigans are to continue.  You have, besides myself, only two readers left.  It's getting dismal."
"Who...who are you?"

The clown mask came off, and I found myself staring into the face of none other than Flannery O'Connor.  I was really confused now.  "O'Connor???  Why are YOU in my dream?"  She said, "Because I am your guardian angel."  That's when I woke up screaming.  After pulling myself together, I think I remembered what she was getting at.  I had to laugh a little though.  To think a Catholic would actually be my guardian angel.  Preposterous!

It's been three months since I started this online venture.  Already I have managed to offend women, Hades, the City of Chicago, little leagues, the City of Birmingham, vegetarians, baristas, botanists, the average American patriot, and now Catholics.  Not bad, not bad.  My topics have ranged from the social to the personal, from gastronomical euphoria to the politics of little league.  It has been a good three months for me; I've been able to air my mental laundry, practice my humor, and continue to use my poor understanding of punctuation¿  But you, my reader, may be feeling a little dizzy.  Let's be honest, this is pure chaos.  A wiser Ice Cube once said, "You better check yo self before you wreck yo self.  Cos I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth.  Droppin bombs on ya moms, fuck car alarms..." you get the point.

This blog was more or less intended to be an attempt to express and understand the societal wave of change that is knocking on the door of the human world.  I also might have made some allusions to the nature of this blog, itself being a flotsam constructed from an ugly shipwreck.  Well, maybe its time the flotsam went somewhere out of all this debris, maybe toward that island off in the distance.  It would be much easier to chronicle and understand the Deluge if we could get into some dry clothes, don't you think?  I do.  Join me.

P.S. - Holiday postings by historical (and fictional) figures aren't going anywhere.



Peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Everything that rises must converge? Just for the record, I can think of many times when this is just not so. I'm just saying.
    You should try something more comfortable with your nautical metaphor in your last paragraph than “knocking on the door", may I suggest "breaking on the shore"? See, won't even fuck up the rhyme. Whap.
    On a personal note, I could stand to read less about your ass... though you do seem to know your audience. Consider letting Roz read for grammar, punctuation and basic coherence, but not bad. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete